Sunday, July 24, 2016

Growing up Amy Carmichael was my hero.  I have read many books about her and by her, but one really shook my world.   Let the little children come is the story of Amy learning of the tragic costume in India where little girls were given to the Hindu temple gods as sacrifices and temple prostitutes.  In God's sovereign plan Amy begins rescuing these girls from their horrific plight.  
The story goes on, in which, Elisabeth Eliot communicates much better than I could every attempt to in, A Chance to Die. (Which I would read every year if time allowed.)
God has given me a heart to see little children come to Him. A heart for little girls who are forced into awful cultural traditions such as MFG, Female Genital Mutilation, and Child bride.  He has given me a heart to see these girls have a chance at a normal life, a childhood that includes school, jump ropes, hopscotch, lots of giggles and knowing Jesus.  
Can you imagine being married at 12 years old to a man triple your age?  Can you imagine being 12 years old, never gone to school and being the 4th wife of a very old man?   
When I walk around our school, Mara Christian Academy, and see the little girls jump roping and giggling and reading and singing, I can't help but hold back tears of joy for these girls.
"But Jesus said,'Let the little children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" Matthew 19:14
Soon, we will be opening a girls home, Mara Girls Home, and when I think about it my heart fills with excitement and hope for the girls God will send our way. May we make a difference, even if it's just one!



No comments:

Post a Comment